Starting Our Family

The reality of infertility, IVF and donor eggs

Overwhelmed With Emotion

on May 24, 2013

Originally posted Feb 27, 2013 – 

We had our retrieval yesterday and they got an egg- WOO-HOO!!!!!!!  We were so nervous going into it because we only had 2 follicles last time which resulted in nothing.  We didn’t want to have our hearts broken again so we were cautiously optimistic.  As the doctor said “we got one”  I was in shock.  It took a minute for the words to go through my ears, register in my brain and then seep into my heart.  That feeling of total shock and surprise it awesome.

This is the picture M made and sent to our close friends and family that were waiting for the news…

They sent me home to rest.  I couldn’t really sleep much because now that we got through step 1 I have to prepare for step 2- fertilization.   Typically with IVF they put the egg and the sperm into a petri dish and see if they fertilize.  M has low morphology (they chase their tails) so we have to do a procedure called ICSI (Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection).  What they do is sort through the sperm and physically pick out the one they feel is best and then inject it into the egg with a needle.  ICSI doesn’t guarantee fertilization but it does increase its chances.   Below is a picture of sperm being injected into an egg.

I now have to prepare my uterus and body for the embryo- God willing.  My clinic transfers embryos 6 days after retrieval so my transfer is tentatively scheduled for Monday, March 4th.  I say tentatively because there are a whole bunch of steps that need to happen before a transfer can take place.  I have to take a Doxycycline pill twice a day and a Medrol pill each night.  This is all in addition to the other pills I’ve been taking since June.  I also have to take Endometrin 3 times a day.  This is a vaginal suppository- I’ve heard the suppository melts and leaks out of you so they suggest wearing a panty liner.  This should be fun considering all I own are thongs.  Guess I will be making a trip to Target tonight for some granny panties.  Since it has to be done 3 times per day I guess that spaces out as morning, afternoon and evening.  Wow- yeah that ought to be fun doing at work lol.  The night before my transfer I have to do an application of Metrogel, which is a vaginal cream and then the morning of the transfer I have to insert a progesterone suppository.   Seems like my vagina is going to be getting a lot of action but in the form of suppositories, creams and gels- not exactly what I would call fun. 

This morning I wanted to vomit from nerves.  My boss, who doesn’t like to talk on the phone so usually texts me, called me 3 times in the morning.  Really?  Of all days?!  Each time my cell phone rang my stomach would flip.  Finally at 9:43 am the phone rang and I knew it was the nurse.  She didn’t sound as chipper as she normally is.  She asked how I was and I said, “I don’t know- you tell me”.  She replied, “well, I have good news…” and I just started crying.  So M and I are now the “parents” of a zygote!  I couldn’t wait to tell M.  We are both so relieved.  I can’t wait to get home and hug him.  Now we have to prepare for step 3- cell division.  The word division on its own scares me- I suck at math. 

The cells have to continually divide (grow).  On Sunday, if they have grown enough to reach Blastocyst stage (d5 in the above pic) then they will go through the CCS (Comprehensive Chromosome Screening) test.  This test is optional (and expensive) but we have opted to go ahead with it.  This test makes sure (98% accurate) the embryo has the correct number of chromosomes (46 total- 23 from each parent).  Studies suggest that 50% to 70% of miscarriages are due to embryos having chromosome abnormalities.  By transferring an embryo with the correct chromosomes your chance of  miscarriage is greatly reduced.  Below is a picture of a sample being taken from an embryo for CCS.  With CCS the embryologist is also able to determine the sex of the embryo.  We are still discussing whether or not to find out and if so when.  I think for now we will have the doctor note it in our file but not tell us.   

The CCS test cost us $4,500 but to me a higher chance of having a healthy baby is priceless.  So on Sunday we will get a call in the morning letting us know if we can move forward with the transfer.  I will not get any calls between now and Sunday unless the embryo stops growing and dies.  This is going to be a very long 5 days for us.  I am praying that our time has come and this is our family in the making.  Its been a miracle we’ve made it this far.  Please keep us in your prayers.  And love and thanks to everyone who has been supporting us so far.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: